About the campaign
“Lost Reaches” is a sandbox style of campaign. Different groups of players can jump in at any time – there is no set party. During any given session, the party will travel into a wild, persistent world hunting for adventure, then return back to the safety of town at the end of the session.
Here are the rules that make “Lost Reaches” run smoothly:
- New characters start at level 1. Characters keep whatever gold, treasure and XP they earn from session to session, and characters may group with other characters of any level.
- Sessions are scheduled by the players, not by the DM. See "Scheduling Sessions" below.
- Every character starts each session in Westwend. If characters have not returned home by the end of the session, they are assumed to have traveled back to the town's safety.
- Players share their information with each other, either in the campaign's telegram group or on the wiki.
- It is the player's duty to keep the list of rumors and jobs up to date, with the exception of the Street Talk section (which is the DM's responsibility). If the players want to add a page that currently doesn't exist, they can link to it on the Player Resources page. Please leave the main page as is.
- The world of the Lost Reaches persists beyond each session. If players have made a change in one session, other players will see that change if they follow the same path in a later session.
- The town of Westwend is always safe. Adventure is found beyond the walls, in the Reaches. Characters can rest in Westwend between sessions and come to no harm. Adventure is found in the wilds beyond.
Scheduling sessions works differently in the Lost Reaches. It is up to the players to decide on a goal and gather their party. A goal can be based on the rumors and jobs listed on the wiki ("We want to explore that ruined tower northeast of town"), or on anything the players discovered during a previous session ("I want to go back and take that dark passage we didn't get to last time"). It can even be based on wanderlust ("I want set out south from the town and see what we find"). Once the player has set out a goal, he/she requests a session to the DM in the telegram group app, mentioning his/her goal and mentions if he knows any other characters that want to tag along. The DM then offers a time and date for the session and – if it's accepted by the player who originally requested the session - pins that message in the group chat. Other players can then sign their character up to join that session, as long as the group size does not exceed 6 players.